So, I’m now the proud owner of a 160 GB Playstation 3. I’d always meant to get one – just haven’t really been able to afford it. Not only does it double up as a blue-ray player, but it’s also undoubtedly the most powerful console on a technical level, and despite the lack of decent exclusives, both third party or otherwise at the moment, there are still several PS3-only games that I want to play. Haven’t actually got any games for it yet.
A bit annoying though, on closer inspection I realised that it didn’t come with an HDMI cable… which for the state of the art HD multi-media console is a bit silly, really. Still, I’ll need to go pick up some games for it anyway, so I can pick up a cable whilst I’m there. I think I’ll also go get myself a headset, even though *apparently* they’re not as widely used as they are on Xbox Live. Thanks again goes to mother-dear, who agreed to pay for the console as my early Christmas present – more money for me to get the games, accessories etc… but also a second monitor and a netbook, which are two things I could do with for the business side of things. I feel a little bit bad though, as I can see me not playing the PS3 as much as my PC or Xbox, so I don’t want her to think she’s wasted her money or anything.
Out of my close group of friends, I only know one person who games online with a PS3. It will be good to start gaming with him and a couple of friends of his I know, as I’ve never done it before – he doesn’t own an Xbox or anything and doesn’t PC game either. Outside of that, a few colleagues of mine own PS3’s as well, so I can game with them, but I suspect my friends list is going to be small. Still, I have to find games that they own that I don’t already have elsewhere – I refuse to duplicate, unless I can get one free, but I wouldn’t ask for that.
Some games I am thinking of getting though are:
- Medal of Honor: I didn’t get this for review, and my friend has it so I might as well get it on the PS3.
- Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood: Again, we’re probably going to assign it to someone else, and I know my friend is getting it so I can play online with him there… but then again, most of my XBL friends will get it too… might have to think more about this one.
- Valkyria Chronicles: I’m not a huge huge fan of RPG’s outside of the Final Fantasy series, but this game has always intrigued me, and been on my ‘must-play’ list for a while. Shame the sequels are on the PSP.
- MAG: Now, every time I say this to people they tell me not to get it because it’s apparently rubbish. Call me stubborn, but I want to see for myself as the concept had always intrigued me. What with the DLC that’s out for it now and the fact that those who are still playing it are the ones you actually want to play with, I think it’ll be better than people let on.
- Uncharted 1 & 2: Naughty Dog’s action/adventure series has been highly praised by both the press and personal friends, so I wouldn’t mind checking these out.
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Not 100% sure I’ll buy this… I may just try and borrow it, but I get the feeling this is one I should really play. Shame the PS3 I’ve got isn’t backwards compatible, as I should really play MGS 3 as well. Played (and completed) one and two though, so that’s something.
- Flower: I’ve been fascinated by this PSN title ever since it came out, so this will definitely be one to get.
Not sure what else I’ll get… maybe some old-school PS2 or PS One games if they’re available, all things considered. I could start getting blue-rays now as well if I wanted. We’ll have to wait and see. I’m happy with my purchase though all the same, and I have a feeling that, with plenty of years left in its cycle, the Playstation 3 may yet surprise us all.
Until next time.